Last Tuesday the Electoral Commission launched it's review of MMP. They are looking at seven issues:
- the thresholds for the allocation of list seats
- list members contesting by-elections
- the rules allowing candidates to both contest an electorate and be on a party list
- the rules for ordering candidates on party lists
- the effect of a party winning more electorate seats than its party vote share entitles it to
- the effects of the ratio of electorate seats to list seats on proportionality in certain circumstances
- other matters referred to the Commission by the Minister of Justice or Parliament
Over the next few weeks I will offer my opinions and ideas on these issues.
Disclaimer: I voted to retain MMP at the election and campaigned for it's retention (By wearing my nifty Keep Calm and Vote MMP t-shirt while out and about).